Javascript is required to view this map.

Umm As-Sultan Sha’aban minaret

The madrasa of Umm As-Sultan Shaaban is located on the right side of Bab al-Wazir street (one of the major spines of the historic city extra miros) leading to the Citadel. It was founded in 770 A.H./ 1368-69 A.D. and attributed to the name of great lady Khawand Barka and her son As-Sultan al-Ashraf Sha’ban ibn Hasan grandson to an-Nasir Muhammad ibn Qala’un . The mosque was designed according to cruciform madrasa plan; it consists of a central open courtyard (sahn) surrounded with four īwāns . The minaret consisted of three parts, the first part has octagonal shape, the second part is a smaller octagonal shaft , the third part (al-Gausaq) no longer exists. The minaret was reconstructed under the supervision of Aga Khan company for Cultural services.

Umm As-Sultan Sha’aban minaret
Umm As-Sultan Sha’aban minaret
Umm As-Sultan Sha’aban minaret

Center for Conservation & Preservation of Islamic Architectural Heritage  

Egypt - Headquarter

85, Ramsis Street, (P.O.Box: 764)
11511 Cairo, Egypt

Tel  : +20 2 2575.2495 / 2577.6122
Fax : +20 2 2574.8872
Mail : info@ciah.biz

Germany - Representation Office

Cockerillstr. 100
52222 Stolberg, Germany

Tel  : +49 2402 12750.2000
Fax : +49 2402 12750.2900
Mail : office@ciah.eu


© Copyright 1984 - 2019 Centre for Conservation & Preservation of Islamic Architectural Heritage