Javascript is required to view this map.

Saray al-Gawhara

The palace is situated south of the Mosque of Muhammad Ali in the Cairo Citadel. It was founded by Mohammed Ali in a style inspired by European palaces. It was commissioned by Mohammed Ali Pasha in 1814 essentially as a private residence. It was renovated in 1983 after the fire the broke down in it few years before.

After the renovation in 1983, it is used as a gallery for paintings, porcelain, and other valuable and attractive artifacts that belong to the descendants of Mohamed ‘Ali.

Saray al-Gawhara
Saray al-Gawhara

Center for Conservation & Preservation of Islamic Architectural Heritage  

Egypt - Headquarter

85, Ramsis Street, (P.O.Box: 764)
11511 Cairo, Egypt

Tel  : +20 2 2575.2495 / 2577.6122
Fax : +20 2 2574.8872
Mail : info@ciah.biz

Germany - Representation Office

Cockerillstr. 100
52222 Stolberg, Germany

Tel  : +49 2402 12750.2000
Fax : +49 2402 12750.2900
Mail : office@ciah.eu


© Copyright 1984 - 2019 Centre for Conservation & Preservation of Islamic Architectural Heritage