Javascript is required to view this map.

Great Omari mosque

The Great Mosque is located in the old city of Sidon, high on a hill overlooking the western sea area of the Old City. Originally it was established by the Order of the Hospitalers of the Church of St. John the Baptist in Jerusalem in the second half of 13 th century It was a part of crusader fortification overlooking the sea.

It was used as a mosque since 1291 A.D. A minaret was added in 19 century during the Ottoman era.

Great Omari mosque
Great Omari mosque

Center for Conservation & Preservation of Islamic Architectural Heritage  

Egypt - Headquarter

85, Ramsis Street, (P.O.Box: 764)
11511 Cairo, Egypt

Tel  : +20 2 2575.2495 / 2577.6122
Fax : +20 2 2574.8872
Mail : info@ciah.biz

Germany - Representation Office

Cockerillstr. 100
52222 Stolberg, Germany

Tel  : +49 2402 12750.2000
Fax : +49 2402 12750.2900
Mail : office@ciah.eu


© Copyright 1984 - 2019 Centre for Conservation & Preservation of Islamic Architectural Heritage